Quarantine day 24


Today, on this 24th day of quarantine, I would like to talk about the first book series I did. It was a children's series consisting of four books called:
The Adventures of Johnny & Joey-
1-The Magic Elevator
2-Back to the Elevator
3-Return to Animal Land
4-The Button That Should Never, Ever, Ever be Pushed.

The series follows two brothers as they travel to wonderous lands in a magic elevator they discovered buried in their backyard. The inside of the elevator is covered with hundreds of buttons, each one leading to a different land.
There is Wooden Land, where everyone and everything is made of wood. I had fun naming the characters in that land after different types of wood.
There is Imagination Land, where anything is possible.
Monster Land, Aqua Land (all characters named after hurricanes).

Anyway, there's a backstory to the magical tales that I can't take complete credit for.

In honor of all things candid here, I don't have many pleasant childhood memories. But early on some were created that led to these books. I can't remember my exact age, must have been between 5 and 6, but there was a time when our father would tell the three of us, my younger and older brother, bedtime stories. The Johnny and Joey stories.

Each time we would get to pick a number and also pick what type of land they arrived in. If it was Balloon Land then our father would come up with a land where anything and everything was made of balloons. Frog Land, everyone was a frog.

Fast-forward to somewhere around 1999. I talked to my dad about those stories, reliving them for a moment. I had already started writing by that time, and I told him I wanted to turn the stories into a children's series. He loved the idea, and was excited to see what I would do, but sadly he passed before the first book was completed.
I like to think he would be pleased with what I've done.

Take a ride HERE with the brothers!

Stay safe. Stay inside. Each day is one day closer to this being done. 💓

Comments

  1. Elevators are very important for me. My grandad was an elevator maker here in Argentina. He started his own business when he came from Italy. Elevators are symbols of power, movement and desire. I am sure your dad would be very pleased with what you've done. No doubt. Thank you for being here, my friend. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019

Freedom of Speech?

Finished another one