Quarantine day 22






On this 22nd day of quarantine and writing in this blog about being quarantined, I've decided to start talking about something else . . . me.
My books actually. I'm going to start telling you about each of my books and series, one a day.

We'll start with one of my most twisted tales-

Inanimate Objects

Now, before I begin to tell you how I came up with this story and when, I must remind you that I had only started self-publishing about five or six years ago. Before that I had been consistently writing and trying to get published. I had been writing for years.

So when did I first come up with the idea for a story where the devil makes inanimate objects come to life and attack people in horrible ways?

I was fifteen years old (you can do the math and figure out the year, but rest-assured, it didn't have a 2 in it). It was early in the morning, and I was the only one up. It was still dark out (some things never change, I still wake up before the sun) and I was having cereal at the kitchen table.
The plastic gallon milk jug sat beside my bowl as I ate--because I was fifteen and it was too much to get up and put it back in the refrigerator--but anyway, I remember feeling that the jug was too close to my hand while I ate, so I pushed it away.
I had pushed it with enough force that the milk inside sloshed around, and after it moved from my initial push, it scooted twice more with each shifting of the milk inside. The first thing that came to my mind was that the milk carton had come alive.
Then it started. I began thinking . . .
What if everything you touched would suddenly come alive and kill you in some way? You'd be afraid to touch anything.
I came up with the tagline almost immediately, "Don't touch anything."
As I thought about the story, as I do with any story, I tried to figure out why it would be happening. Of course, something that horrific would have to be caused by the devil.

So, the story of Maggie Walts protecting her unborn child from Satan, and the devil seeking vengeance on the small Texas town with its own inanimate objects was born.

I had fun writing it, but I was also nervous writing it. Just the whole devil subject in general is unnerving. Notes and research and the writing and the character Satan himself. I made him as vile and cruel as I could.
That's why Inanimate Objects goes down as one of my most twisted tales. It's not for the faint of heart. But if you like a good scare this is what one reader said:
"No spoilers, but a warning, readers will find when look up from the novel at the objects around them, they will recall the opening words-'Don't touch anything'."

Enjoy!
Click HERE for the eBook and paperback.

Stay safe. Stay inside. 💓

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019

Freedom of Speech?

Finished another one