Where do they come from?

A lot of people wonder where writers get the ideas for their books.  I have been asked several times about the strange concepts of some of mine.  Since I've been promoting Blue Moon lately in preparation of the release of The Rise of the Son, I figured I would talk about this one.

Being a writer I spend most of my days with random conversations going on in my head. (At least I hope it's because I'm a writer and not because I'm psychotic.)  But I find that I play and replay conversations in my head, creating conversations and scenarios that may or may not turn into something that could be used in a book or could be used to create an entire story in itself.  The latter is what happened with Blue Moon.

One morning while I was eating breakfast, I was, for some reason, thinking about werewolves.  Werewolves have always been my favorite of the big monsters.  I don't know if it's because I've always thought there was something sexy about them or if it's because I like hairy men.  (?)
Seriously, werewolves have always had that air of sexiness to them that I can't explain.
Anyway, I was thinking about werewolves and I began to put myself in a werewolf's place.  When I did this, that conversation thing started again in my head and I found myself apologizing to a family member of one of my victims.  When that happened, the seed was planted and began to grow.

I imagined what it would be like for someone who never wanted to hurt anyone but was forced to kill and mutilate people once a month.  How would it effect them?  And if there was a way for them to end it, to take their own life, what would they day to everyone to explain it all?

Thus came Blue Moon.  One of my favorite lines in the book is the final sentence in the introduction:
"My name is Adam Keel.  I am a werewolf, and this is my story."
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Moon-first-hand-becoming-werewolf/dp/0595130046/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326029571&sr=1-2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019

Freedom of Speech?

Finished another one