A new era-

Ain't life strange?

Things change from one year to the next.  Things change from one DAY to the next, more like it. 

I'm not one for change.  I've had the same job for 23 years, the same man (thank God) for 21.  But there are times when change is good.  Yes, I know that's what they say.  But I've never bought into it.

What the hell am I talking about?  I'm talking about publishing.  I'm talking about books.  I'm talking about eBooks.  I'm talking about paper vs. electronic. 

Now let me start by saying, I love my printed books, and always will.  When the whole eBook thing started, I took it with a grain of salt because I knew it would never effect me.  I didn't see the appeal of reading a book on a screen.  I'm very OCD about my printed books and love to hold them in my hands.

But then . . . things started to change.

I purchased an iPad, fell in love with it, and wanted to use it in as many ways as possible.  So, I downloaded the free Kindle eReader app.  Then I purchased a few eBooks.  (Hey, they're cheaper than regular books, too.  Bonus.)
I found the pages of the eBooks turn like regular pages (relatively).
The reader saves the spot where you last stopped reading without a bookmark.
If you don't know what a word means, you no longer have to write it down so you can go look it up later, just tap the screen and a dictionary appears. Hmmmmmm, nice.
And an added plus is that you have all your books in one easy-to-carry-around device.

Then one day, I had an epiphany.  I had spent years trying to get published by a large publishing house.  I was simply 1 author in 1,000,000,000,000, and was spinning my wheels.  I had several books sitting on shelves that were yearning to be released.  Though I had self-published to print copy before, it can be pricey.  I had recently gone through the time and cost for Luthor because, well, it was Luthor

Things began to change further for all independent writers because they were discovering that they could publish books in eBook format and they were making money because so many people were hopping on the eBook train.  I realized I could do that, too.

The long-awaited sequel to Blue Moon might still not have been available if it were not for this new era.  But a few weeks ago, I published my first eBook, The Rise of the Son.

This has opened the gate for many books to come.  In the future months/year there will be new books from me the world may have never seen if it hadn't been for my new insight on the world of eBooks, eReaders, and ePublishing.

If it hadn't been for change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019

Freedom of Speech?

Finished another one