Part of the downs

The point of this blog was to show the ups and downs of an up and coming writer. My hopes had been that there would have been more ups at this point in my career, but as it turns out, not so much . . . yet.

Unfortunately, there has recently been a large "down" in the ups and downs game. As some of you may know, I wrote a book called "Blue Moon" (available on Amazon and Barnes&noble.com). About five years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) I decided to try my hand at screenwriting and wrote the screenplay for the book. I posted it on a site where producers go and find new screenplays. It wasn't long before I had some interest. An independent production company contacted me and were interested. They had me start doing some editing work on it and we went back and forth for about a year. Then, that production company "broke up" and I was left in the lurch.

But as it turned out, the second half of that production company contacted me and was going to start a new company, I'll call it Thanks For Nothing Productions. So, the producer with Thanks For Nothing told me that she wanted to bring in a new screenwriter and redo the script because mine wasn't right. Okay, why wasn't I told a year ago? That was fine, I had only just started writing screenplays and wasn't totally upset.
Then, they started changing things in the movie version of the book. That started upsetting me. But said producer explained that things have to be changed for movie versions. Well, I know that, I didn't just fall off the proverbial turnip truck.
Anyway, the years passed as she tried to get funding and went through three or four different writers. To make a long story short, five years later, I receive an email stating that the story has changed so much, it's really nothing like my original book so I was pushed out of the deal.
What the fuck?
Are you serious? "Oh, things are changed in the movie versions of books all the time", she had told me five years ago. But changed and changed and changed enough to where the writer no longer has anything to do with it?
I have a feeling this had less to do with changes made and more to do with, "Well, now we don't have to pay the author". I just have to keep my eye out for anything resembling my work and if I see it, "Sue time!"

But, live and learn. I now understand why Dean Koontz is so against Hollywood. I can only hope that my new series will do as well as I hope and the producer will be kicking herself for doing what she did. If it had not been for the new series, I would have been much more devistated by what she did to me. But deep down we know we'll be on top in the end.

Okay, that's it for now. Be nice to each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019

Freedom of Speech?

Finished another one