On the fence



HBO is doing a reboot of Looney Toons, but with a few changes.

Elmer Fudd will lose his signature rifle. HBO claims "we're not doing guns." Which is fine, if you're against guns. I don't particularly care for them. But really? I understand about trying not to glorify gun violence and all of that, which is great. But Elmer Fudd is a hunter. That's why he carries a rifle.

Apparently, Yosimite Sam is losing his pistols, too. I'm more okay with this because he was never a responsible gun owner in the first place.


In general, I don't really know how I feel about all of this. On the one hand, I understand that cartoon characters blowing one another's heads off with guns can lead to the wrong message being sent to children. But they're cartoons (Elmer and Yosimite, not the children). 

Has political correctness gotten to the point that everything must be shielded. Can people no longer decipher between reality and a cartoon? What's next, the sudden ban on anvils because of the risk of coyotes dropping them onto unsuspecting road runners?

It's sad in a way. We grew up with these cartoons. They hold special memories that kids nowadays will never understand. They'll never understand "Saturday Morning Cartoon." For that matter, they'll never know Sunday nights with "Wild Kingdom" and then "The Wonderful World of Disney." 

So much has changed. So much more will change. I hope it's for the better.

Stay safe. Mask up. Protect others. 💓

Comments

  1. When we got back home from school, my brother and I would sit and watch Looney Toons together💜. Nice memories. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019

Freedom of Speech?

Finished another one